Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Detours

                I sat down tonight with every intention of writing about how disappointed and sad I was about events that transpired in my life today.  I had an awesome paragraph written about it.  It even said the word “disappointed” four times.  I counted.  So why am I now writing a paragraph about why I deleted the paragraph that I previously wrote about being disappointed?  Because my God is too good to let this get me down.  Because my God is too powerful to let this shake me.  Because greater is He that is in me than he that is in the world.  And most of all, because my God won’t allow me to be satisfied with wallowing in self-pity and despair. 
                Something inside me knew that the words I was writing were not the words that needed to come out.  Finding myself in an all too familiar situation as a foster parent who loves a child that is a part of a very broken system, I have felt this sting before.  I lived the ups and downs of it for over a year with the case that included the children who were eventually to become my own.  I allowed depression and despair to come into my heart too many times when it came knocking.  I spent sleepless nights and worrisome days meditating on my fears and letting it destroy my faith. I have heard it so many times, “Fear is having more faith in what the devil said than what God said.”  It is so true! I rehearsed every horrific scenario in my mind.  I made myself sick, stressed, and depressed, and my children and I were none the better for it.  As I was typing those words of discouragement, something told me to stop.  I was reminded that the Lord just took me through a very precious time of preparation.  A two week “boot camp” if you will.  He showed me many things, and they were all very encouraging, but as I looked back through my journal entries from that time, one of them stood out to me. 
                In Luke 13, Jesus was ministering to people, and some Pharisees came and told him to get out of town because Herod wanted to kill him.  In verses 32-33 it says, “’Go tell that fox, I will keep on driving out demons and healing people today and tomorrow, and on the third day I will reach my goal.  In any case, I must press on today and tomorrow and the next day—for surely no prophet can die outside Jerusalem” (NIV).  What I believe the Lord was trying to show me in that verse was that Jesus was being sidetracked by Herod.  He knew He had a call on his life to minister to people, but He realized that He needed to take a detour because of the adversity He was facing.  He was cognizant of the present, but He also saw the end goal as well.  At the time I didn’t know the Lord was showing me things to come, but just like Jesus, today I was thrown a major detour.  It was one I wasn’t expecting, and it was one I wasn’t happy about, but it doesn’t change the end picture. 

                This time, I will not give in to fear. I will hold on to my faith.  Today I choose to have more faith in what God says than what the devil says.  I pray that if you are experiencing any detours in your life, you will not be discouraged by the delay in the journey, but that you would keep that end picture in sight and find joy in the things you learn along the way.  The enemy will always bring these detours, but in the end, I bet when I look back on this day it will look less like a detour and more like a speed bump.

No comments:

Post a Comment